The B.C. Ministry of Education has implemented new curricula for grades 4-7 Physical and Health Education.
In Grade 4 students are expected to know:
- communicable/non-communicable illnesses
- strategies/skills to use in potentially hazardous/unsafe/abusive situations; includes common lures/tricks used by potential abusers
- strategies to respond to bullying, discrimination
- self-identity, body image, social media
- changes during puberty; sexuality, sexual identity
In Grade 5 students are expected to know:
- Grade 4 outcomes +
- practices that promote health and well-being
- sources of health information, support services
- strategies to protect from potential abuse
- physical/emotional/social changes during puberty; sexuality, sexual identity
In Grade 6 students are expected to know:
- Grade 4/5 outcomes +
- practices to reduce STIs
- consequences of bullying, discrimination
- influences on identity, including sexual identity and gender
In Grade 7 students are expected to know:
- Grade 4/5/6 outcomes +
- influences of physical/emotional/social changes on identity and relationships
Please watch my Body Smart video where I explain the outcomes in more detail.
For more detailed information please consult the Ministry website.